Freetopia

Friday, October 07, 2005

Michelle Wie Turns Pro

Michelle Wie has turned pro, the Korean golf phenomenon announced on at the Kahala Mandarin Hotel in Honolulu, Hawaii on Thursday.

Wie will be turning 16 on Oct. 11 and two days later take part in the Samsung World Championship in Palm Desert, California, which will mark her pro debut. Flanked by Mike Fasulo, chief marketing officer of Sony, and Bob Wood, president of Nike Golf, Wie confirmed she signed endorsement deals with the two companies worth $10 million a year and will use Nike golf clubs.

However, except extraordinary measures are taken, it is impossible for Wie to join the LPGA Tour until she turns 18. LPGA commissioner Carolyn Bivens, sent Wie a welcome message, congratulating her on taking the next step in her golf life. She said Wie had the qualifications and talent to attract global golf fans and would help open a new chapter for women's golf.

Wie, who is still in high school, held the press conference at 8:00 a.m. local time to get to school on time.
She looked like a mere teenage girl, but in answering questions from reporters at the press conference, she boldly announced her ambition to become the world’s greatest golfer. Excerpts follow.

Your life will change a lot from now on. How do you feel now?
I felt a little nervous in the morning, but now I am very excited and buoyant. I will do my best to become the best golfer in the world. I know there is much expectation about me. Just thinking of becoming a pro makes me feel excited.
When did you make up your mind to turn pro?
I thought about it for a long time and felt this is the right time. I feel I am well prepared and comfortable to play as a pro. Everything is going well.
What are you going to do with your studies?
My first priority is school. I will finish high school and go on to college.
What are your immediate and long-term plans?
I will play the Samsung World Championship on the LPGA tour next week, and in the men’s Casio World Open in Japan next month. I want to play on both LPGA and PGA tours. And I really want to become the fist female golfer to play in the Masters at Augusta National.
What level do you think you are at now?
I always tell myself that I can beat any players on the LPGA tour, but I am not at that level yet.

from chosun